13 Facts About Chickens
1. Chickens will lay eggs without a rooster.
2. Roosters crow throughout the day and night…not just in the morning.
3. A healthy hen bred for laying will lay an egg almost every day.
4. Chickens are very low-maintenance pets.
5. The eggs from backyard chickens are superior in taste to store bought eggs.
6. Brown eggs are no healthier than white eggs.
7. Chickens can fly short distances.
8. Chickens really do “come home to roost”.
9. Hens are much quieter than roosters.
10. Chickens have a pecking order that generally remains the same within a flock until death.
11. Standard-sized chickens typically vary in weight between 4 to 7 lbs.
12. Bantam breeds weigh between 1 to 2 lbs.
13. Chickens are social animals and do not do well as only-chickens.
Until next time…
The visible order of the universe proclaims a supreme intelligence. ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau ~